Monday, March 26, 2012

PageRequestManagerParserErrorException with the Update Panel

I have spent quite a bit of time researching this and I cannot figure it out. So if there is anybody that has any ideas I am all ears.

I have a pretty simple site that uses a few update panels. I am developing with VS2005 on XP all the patches and using ASP.NET AJAX 1.0. Everything works perfect on my dev machine and on second beta server I have. When everything get moved to the client site they get the "PageRequestManagerParserErrorException" error on the pages with the update panel. I am not using server.transfer or respnse.write() or any other known issues. The client machine is a test box that was imaged for this app. Running Win2003 all clean and up to date in a pretty standard configuration.

I am just looking for direction: I saw some posts about response caching and machinekey but I have no idea what to look for or what to direct the sys admin to look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Have a look here for troubleshooting tips:

Also see this related post:

Hope these help...



Thanks for the links. In my searching I did come accross them (and meany others). So I threw up a server outside of my network that and tried to hit the pages with an update panel again. And this time I get the error (sometimes). It was strange that I would sometimes get an error and others I wouldn't. So I installed fiddler to see what the response was like. When I get an error I notice this in the respose;

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot modify cookies after HTTP headers have been sent.]
System.Web.HttpCookieCollection.Add(HttpCookie cookie) +103
System.Web.Security.RoleManagerModule.OnLeave(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) +650
System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

I am using a master page that will show differnt information based on the user's role. My guess is that the injection of this error into the response is causing the problem because when it works there is no error. Unfortunatly I don't know what this means yetHmm. Guess it's back to the internet for some studying.

If anybody has any sugestions or direction on addressing this issue I would welcome the advice.



Got it!Big Smile

This link was the answer

I still need to read up on the issue but the answer was to set the cacheRolesInCookie=false in the web.config file. Made the change and all is good. Although, I now wonder what the impact is now on perfomance.


No comments:

Post a Comment